7 Steps to Keeping your Roses Healthy for longer this Valentine's day
- Place your roses into water as soon as you can! This will prevent dehydration which causes the flower head to droop early.
- Prepare a mixture of water combined with flower food. If you don't have any flower food here are a couple of quick and easy DIY mixtures you can try:
- Add a table spoon of sugar and a small amount of bleach into a vase of warm water. The sugar will help feed the flower and the bleach will keep the water clean from bacteria
- Or substitute bleach for copper, this should have the same effect of keeping your water clear from yeast and fungi.
- Remove excess leaves that may fall into the water. Wet leaves will rot and the resulting bacteria will affect the water.
- Lay the stems side ways under water and slice off about an inch. Angle the slice to a 45 degree to expose more stem for the rose drink the water better. Be careful not crush the stems.
- Using warm water is best as the flower can digest it more quickly
- It is best to change the water every day. Even when using the above bleach/copper mixture the water will still go bad after a while; the build up of bacteria will kill the flowers and cause the water to smell.
- Roses will keep longer in a cool climate and away from sunlight
Happy Valentine's Day!